TO HOW TO REGISTER A CAR AS A CLASSIC CAR IN FRANCE
1) Get the headlights either changed or adjusted, if possible. If this is proving too difficult or not feasible then take the car to the Mot testing (Contrôle technique) garage in Saint Hilaire du Harcouët (See board in the bar in Désertines for details).
2) Get a MOT test organized (controle technique). We have a chap in the Club who manages a MOT garage, you will find his details on the board in the Red Lion.
3) Get in touch with the FFVE Fédération francaise de véhicule d'époque (see attached n° 1 document). I have also attached the instructions page from the FFVE, and I have highlighted sections 3 for vehicle imported (See document N° 3) .You will need to complete the attached document N° 1, most of the information required on the form can be copied directly from the British log book, you will also need a photo of the manufacturer’s plaque or this is not possible a photo of the serial number stamped into the chassis. You will also need to send a self reply envelope and a cheque for the amount of 50 euros payable to the FFVE, 4 stamps plus 2 photos of the vehicle in its actual state. When you get the certificate back from the FFVE, you are ready to go to the Centre des Impôts (tax office). The contact address of the FFVE is as follows :
FFVE (Fédération Francçaise des Véhicules d’époque
92105 BOULOGNE-BILLANCOURT Cedex
Tél. : 01 46 21 94 70
Fax : 01 46 21 94 99
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
(DO NOT SEND THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS AS YOU WILL NEED THEM TO GET THE CARTE GRISE (LOG BOOK) FROM THE PREFECTURE; )
4) You need to go to the local “CENTRE DES IMPOTS”. You will need to find out where your local tax office is. It will depend on where you live. You will need to get from them the following documents :
“CERTIFICAT D’ACQUISITION D’UN VEHICULE TERRESTRE” in order to obtain this form you will need the log book in English, a proof of address in france (any utility bill will do) , a copy of your passport and the number of kilometers on the clock (don’t worry if it is not the exact figure). You will then be given the certificat d’acquisition d’un véhicule terrestre.
5) You are then ready to go to the préfecture to get your new log book (carte grise). In order to get the new French log book (carte grise), you will need to complete the attached form (N° 2 demande d'immatriculation) and either go physically to the préfecture with all the above documents , they will check the documents and ask you to pay an amount for the new log book , the cost of the log book (carte grise)will depend on the number of horse power ( puissance fiscal ), this information can be found on the FFVE form. You will not get the carte grise there and then but you should receive it within a few days by post. If you send the application by post, make sure you send it recorded delivery and don't forget to include the payment for the carte grise (log book,) and a self reply enveloppe for the new carte grise. The cost of the carte grise can be found on the préfecture’s website or by phoning the prefecture.
6) Take or send the lot to the prefecture . And you should get the new log book within a couple of weeks.
IF YOU HAVE FURTHER QUERIES, DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT NATHALIE ON
T EL : 02 33 37 19 20 or
Tel : 06 77 29 20 14
Or alternatively by email : email@example.com